Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The ABORTION debate - She hates me because of what I believe.?

I regularly get into ethical/moral debates with this girl because we both have such strong opinions. I'm a human rights and animal rights activist, while she believes that animals should have no rights whatsoever and that you should be allowed to have an abortion at ANY point in your pregnancy for ANY reason. It all got a bit heated last week. We were in cl, when we started talking about Euthanasia. She bluntly said "I like Euthanasia". I laughed and said "next you're going to say that you love abortion". She replied with "I do" and it went from there. My argument was the babies feel pain. She argued "HOW YOU KNOW THEY FEEL PAIN? They don't". I said "If I hit you right now, how do I know that you're feeling pain? I don't. However, I use the intelligence I have to realise that you are in fact feeling pain.". She also argued that "They don't remember dying" and I said "If you apply that logic to all situations then I could go up to a 3 year old, smack them over the head because F*CK IT, I don't remember anything from when I was three. I could pick up a hammer and smash it into your head right now, you'd die and wouldn't remember, but I wouldn't do that because it'd be immoral." She didn't really know what to say. She told me that she respects but completely disagree with me, then told me to say "I respect your views... Blah..." I told her that I can't respect something that advocates death. It got worse and worse and she was just repeating YOU HAVE TO RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES VIEWS. I said that I usually do, but I can't respect everything. Just like I can't respect the terrorists decision to crash into the Twin Towers. I asked her if she respected their opinion, and she said "Yes, but it doesn't mean that I agree with it". ARGH. We kept arguing. She was soon quiet because I have MANY more arguments. We used to be friends but now we don't talk. She has started talking about me to other people. Should I just deal with it because having an enemy means i've fought for something, or should I just tell her that I respect her views... When I don't. I'd respect many things but not unnecessary death for unnecessary means.

No comments:

Post a Comment